Saturday, December 18, 2010

When The Man Comes Around

     This post is a preamble to Monday's blog.  If any of you know me well, you know that I am an animal lover.  If you really understand me, then you know that I think most animals are better than most people.  At least they're honest in their motives and steadfast and loyal.  The story tells it all:

   When The Man Comes Around
 

This is my third and probably final painting of this Arizona Bay horse.  I’ve painted most of the exceptional photos of this horse that I had.  I made an immediate connection with him on our first and only chance encounter.  Everything was perfect about this gelding -- his demeanor, the tack, the light.  But when God decides He wants a horse in His remuda, things can change in the blink of an eye… literally. One lightning bolt took this fine animal and two more like him.  It seems I take the passing of the Innocents (like dogs and horses) harder than most.  I try to build a tougher wall inside me and become more calloused, but when The Man comes around, it’s usually swift justice on His terms.

     I really have an affection for horses -- not the award-winners, but the hard-workers.  I'm always drawn to the remuda whenever I'm out West.  You'll find hundreds of horse shots in my photographic files...horses at work, horses at rest, saddled, hobbled and everything in-between.  It was my honor to portray this fine animal.  
     On Monday, I'll tell you about one of my best friends.  Have a good weekend, and enjoy the Christmas season!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, I love this piece. Your blog is very interesting and I look forward to every entry. Just one suggestion; Why not make your clickable images larger so we can see your work closer. It's hard to see the detail of your craft with them so small. Just a thought to make your blog even better.
    Best,
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, Don. They are very much appreciated. The problem with making images larger is that they can be copied and used by others. So I have to kind of find some middle ground.

    ReplyDelete