Tuesday, January 4, 2011

White Dogs Are Tough: Day 2


     OK, we’re ready to start our painting, and since I must achieve a dead-on likeness of the subject, I chose to begin with the drawing of Sugar’s head (Photo 1). 

Photo 1

     I wanted to make sure I captured a perfect semblance of her before I invested several more hours of additional drawing.  If I don’t peg a likeness in the head and eye, I see no use in continuing the process.
     In Photo 2, I used some Burnt Umber and Ultramarine Blue to establish the darks around the eye, and darks in the nostril.  I also laid in some preliminary washes in the nose and ears.

Photo 2

     At this point, I’m going slow and being very careful.  A snap color decision here can ruin my early efforts, so I’m evaluating my color choices with care.

Photo 3

     Photo 3 shows the collar blocked in with its first wash, and at this point I felt comfortable enough to continue on with completing my drawing.  I used a soft B pencil and very quickly indicated some of the form in the muscle groups.  With long-haired animals, the muscle groups don’t show up so well. 



     To define my subject, I must depend on edge changes in my photo and look for the subtle value changes that will make up my portrait.
     With the drawing completed, we’ll start on washes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment