Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hammer Fist

     This Saturday, I want to introduce you to my friend, Kacy Wachob.  I first met him in Arizona, when he was passing through on his way to Buckaroo country.  This painting, Hammer Fist, was painted soon after I met him, and the story indicates his history at that point.   He now lives in the Sand Hills of Nebraska with his wife Lisa, ranching 55,000 acres with his parents.
     He's one of the best bronc riders and colt starters I've ever seen.  I visited him and his brother BJ several years ago, and the tales they told of the Nebraska winters made this Texas boy cringe.  One of the downsides of constantly working to make a living as an artist, is that I don't often get to see these guys who have made such an impact on my career.
     BJ moved to Elko, Nevada and I had the opportunity to see him this last trip.  It had been over 5 years.  So maybe God will smile on me and make a trip to the Sand Hills become a possibility.  Kacy is one of my favorite subjects to paint, and it's been too long.

Hammer Fist
The wandering half of the brothers Wachob, Kacy doesn't stay long anywhere.  My image of him is pure buckaroo.  He'll take horses over cattle any day ... he's a top hand.  With time spent on the Spanish Ranch, YP and IL, he's earned himself a good reputation.  I heard a lot of stories about his hellraising and bloody knuckles, but all I saw was even-keeled and polite.  

All content and image © Mark Kohler Studio.

Have a good weekend and I'll see you on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment