Monday, January 10, 2011

Another Great Year At The Coors Show


     Well, Pam and I just wrapped up a 2700-mile loop from Yorktown to Denver.  And except for a stomach bug knocking me out on the Friday we returned home (with a visit to the ER), things went good for our efforts.
     It’s always exciting and a bit tense to exhibit with your artistic peers.  This show had many rewards beyond selling all five of our submitted paintings.
     The Coors show gets better each year---with improved work and a greater sense of camaraderie between the artists.  It is truly a quality show, in every sense of the word.
     I thought I would share with you some of my favorite paintings from the show and wrap up with a spectacular highlight.  I want you to know that my camera does not do justice to these spectacular works of art.  So here we go ….
     Douglas Fryer, who is a painting friend of the noted artist Michael Workman, did this painting titled Barn Cat.  The subject matter was good, but I especially liked the paint application and the layering of the paint.  This, in my opinion, was the strongest painting of the show.

Barn Cat by Douglas Fryer
   
  My second favorite painting was titled Steel Arcade, and was painted by William Matthews.  This painting was an exceptional piece for its’ size, about 11” x 11”.  It really captured the feel of a brutal winter’s day on his cowboy subject.  

Steel Arcade by William Matthews

     Gil Dellinger’s huge landscape painting (60” x 48”) captured appreciation from most every artist at the event.  This large landscape was magnificent and I’m sure my photo will do little justice to this monumental effort.  Gil is a great artist and contributes interesting breakfast conversation.

Lake O'Hara, Canadian Rockies by Gil Dellinger

     The highlight of the show for me (being a watercolorist) was Dean Mitchell’s body of work.  My favorite painting was of a midwestern farm landscape.  The leafless winter trees and earth tones are painted with such simplicity and grace, that you know immediately you are looking at the work of genius.  Dean and I discussed the art of watercolor in general, and how it related specifically to the Coors Show.

Midwest Mansions by Dean Mitchell

     We agreed that there are advantages and disadvantages to watercolor as it pertains to shows.  We also covered papers and drawing.  The handmade paper I used for one of my submitted paintings fascinated Dean.  His paintings were all done on Crescent plate finish board, and I could tell by our discussion that he prefers a support that allows the paint to stay suspended, or “float”.
     He said he liked to glaze, but the plate finish won’t allow much reworking because the pigment is suspended on the surface.  All in all, it was a great art discussion, and I can tell you first hand that Dean Mitchell is a class act.
     Thanks again to Rose Fredrick, Curator of the show, for an outstanding exhibition.  It is always an honor to be included with this caliber of artist.  I also want to give a shout out to all the volunteers who make this event such a great success.  Our docent, Linda, was definitely instrumental in our success that night.  And I owe a sincere “Thank You!” to Ron and Cille Williams.  They always see me through the last hurdle.  My final thought:  Art and Good Friends!  Who could ask for more?   

No comments:

Post a Comment