Friday, January 7, 2011

White Dogs Are Tough: The Wrap Up


     My final pass through the painting requires beefing up the muscle forms and modeling. I add some Cadmium Red to warm the underside of the chest that is receiving some reflected light. 
     I also use my white gouache to indicate some wisps of hair in the lit area.  My background washes had bled into some of the areas and polluted my first gouache application.
     At this point, I don't want to overdue it, which can be a temptation to a lot of painters.  The simplicity and "cleanness" of this painting is what I find so appealing.  So I decide that at this point, it is a finished painting.



     I hope you found this portrait interesting and helpful.  It was a difficult undertaking, but I’m pleased with the final work and I hope my collector will find it a welcome friend. 

1 comment:

  1. It's a good rendering of, as you said, a somewhat difficult subject.

    ReplyDelete