Thursday, July 21, 2011

Gaucho Demo - Week 2


     Our next step is to add the first layer of skin tone to our subject.  This will be a mixture of Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Sienna, with a touch of New Gamboge to keep it warm.  (Below)


     I apply this as a bold wash that covers everything I’ve done so far.  Scary, but we all chose watercolor for a reason.  Now we must play its’ game.  Don’t be shy here.  We will paint over the whites of the eyes and all of our previous work.  Let this latest wash air dry completely.


     Now with our initial skin tone wash in and completely dry, I go back over my shadow areas in the face with another wash of Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Sienna.  I also put in the darks of the Gaucho’s hair, as well as his facial hair.  This is a mix of Burnt Umber and French Ultramarine Blue with a touch of Alizarin Crimson to darken it. (Below)


     It doesn’t appear in this photo (below) that much has changed.  These are subtle modifications but they are important.  I added a very light wash of Cadmium Orange over the entire face.  This wash infuses realistic warmth to my subject’s skin tone.  I also add a very dark wash of Ivory Black and Alizarin Crimson to the hat.  (I want to get the dark tone of the hat closer to the image of the photo).


     We’ve accomplished a lot in this phase, so we’ll stop here before tackling the clothing of our subject.  Be sure and contact me if you have any questions.  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment